Monday, August 28, 2017

Into the Fall We Go Again

One of these days my brain won't default to Stephen Sondheim when I'm trying to think of blog post titles. Obviously this isn't that day.

The Incredibly-Patient-Mother was up for a visit this weekend and then I got to meet the family of a long-standing internet friend. We had the usual conversation of "now, how do I know you again?" which seems more and more frequent in adult life. And he pointed out gleefully that I was knitting.


A current project you've not yet seen, a new triangle for the Philosopher. It's based on the Fibonacci sequence and I'm fairly close to finished. The yarn may look familiar, it's the 3rd time I've knit it up and so help me, the last time. It's Dizzy Blonde in one of her original colorways. First it was a hat, then a different scarf, now it's this one. 

I was feeling a little guilty recently that I've not been reading as much as I would like to or am used to. A lot of this is due to the constant consumption of text throughout the workday--although arguably much of that isn't reading. If I'm doing a literature search I'm processing words, titles, search strings etc I am seeing and accepting or rejecting text -- but ask me in three days and it's likely that the content will be entirely out of my head. It's usually not mine so it isn't important that I hold on to it. 

Then I started counting the new books I've listened to over the past few months and I began to feel a bit better. I've listened to 9 new books from Audible in the past 6 months, several more from the library, and I've read a few books in print or on my various devices. So I'm probably in the neighborhood of 15-20 new books so far this year, plus rereads/listens. It made me feel surprisingly better.  I've been feeling like a bad reader who was disengaged. And I don't hesitate to point out that an ability to shotgun Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries has been most useful (to the point that I'm out of backlogged Audible credits and seriously considering buying a few extra). 

It's not what I was reading when I lived in La Crosse, but the job and my reading has changed. What I have energy for of late has changed. And the audiobooks give me a little more time to clean, knit, or at least get from point A to point B.  Several times recently as I've been listening, I've sat down for a few minutes and tried to pick up a book to read simultaneously. It takes a minute for me to realize why I cannot listen to an audiobook and read another text.  All the better to grab my knitting, right? 

My Loopy Academy assignment comes on Friday, I've no idea what Sherry has planned for fall but when it comes out, that plus Christmas knitting is getting sorted *this weekend.* I am optimistic that I could perhaps get a lead on things. In theory. Perhaps. 

And now that I have to decide which murder mystery to consume on the way home, the e-print one I just checked out or the Audible one I'm most of the way through (but it's a re-read). Decisions, decisions. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...