Saturday, May 30, 2015

Loopy Academy Semester 2: Off the Needles, Off to the Gift Bin

Done done done!!  I finally finished and uploaded my Loopy Academy Semester 2 Freshman Year projects. With 24 hours to spare even.  Forgive the mediocre photos, Chez Hedgehog is a mess due to projects and I just wanted to get things done, photographed, and posted.

IMG_7555

First up, my striped project was the ruffle alligator shawl.  (The Ravelry links are all to public pages if you want to click through). Product of a lot of short rows and moving stitch markers, this ended up taking 3.6 skeins of the dark blue and 3.9 of the light blue.  I used Cascade 220 Superwash Sport. It's a lovely shawl, densely squishy, and entirely not my taste. I tried it on and the Philosopher agreed with me. So, it's off to the gift bin while it tries to sort out it's destiny.  This also was the overambitious project--1006 yards where I needed 175.  I really should know better.

IMG_7561

Next up, slipped stitches and this light hat.  I find that I forget how quickly hats can go, even this one which required me to pay attention to what I was doing. Of course, it also went much faster once I stopped trying to knit it on dpns and found a 16" circular.  Far less shoving of stitches and worrying about dropped ones. The yarn is silk and alpaca, both light but oven like.  And the hem turned out better than I expected.  This one is cute and I think will stay with me. I lose hats far too quickly to only have one or two in the hat bin.  I would knit this pattern again.

IMG_7559

Finally, the felted wine carrier. At very best I am ambivalent; really though I just don't like it. I disliked knitting on large needles with worsted weight wool, which clinked around noisily and were loose enough that I didn't feel I could take the project out of the house. I don't particularly care for the felted fabric. It's still taller than I'd like but it's at correct width, so I'm hesitant to run it through the washer again. But I can say I've tried it and am happy not to again, so I suppose that's soemething, maybe. Also destined for the gift bin, though I'm not sure I know many people who take wine with them who will also remember to take their felted wine carrier back and forth. Hmmm, perhaps a white elephant party gift...

Oh, final yardage, as these count for Stash Dash:

1) Shawl: 920 meters
2) Hat: 166 meters
3) Wine Carrier:  162 meters
Current Total: 1248 meters; ~25% !!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...