Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Someday Repeats Will be Done

I got about 33 minutes of knitting time in last night. I say 33 because that's how long the most recent Knitgirllls episode was.

But, wait, I have that long commute every day now! Surely I'm knitting all the way to and from Chez Hedgehog to the Library? (It's an 80 minute commute if all the timing works perfectly.) I'm not really sure why I haven't been knitting as much. Certainly the train has been air conditioned, for which we're all very grateful. Mostly I've been reading. Part of that is not having my mp3 player charged and loaded, which is my own fault but has something to do with not being able to find the charger. As much as I enjoy working on the plain black sock that is my current purse knitting, it's really intended to be done simultaneously with something else. Having just replaced a phone* I'm a little hesitant to set up my phone on my purse to read.

I also am usually standing for about half of the commute home, which doesn't really lend itself to DPNs and gusset decreases.

While watching the videocast, I worked on the Color Affection shawl. I finally have lousy pictures to show you! I took these last night with the new phone and a combination of an already smudged lens (it's hot and humid) and odd overhead lighting gives us this:

Untitled

This one is a little better

Untitled

Little cat feet provided by Pyewacket, who sprawled out on the shawl until I started taking pictures. She's not especially enamoured of me photographing her. Gypsy has learned to tolerate the paparazzi.

33 minutes was 4 rows and I am finally just past the midway point of the green/orange section. If you've not knit one of these, the first two sections are pretty straight forward and then you do ever increasing rows, picking up stitches from the main body every other row. I'm picking up two stitches plus the wrap and turn stitch every odd row. That's a slight modification from what the pattern calls for (3). This should give me a deeper shawl, assuming I don't lost my sanity in the interim. I do expect to run out of green yarn before the end of this, so I have to decide when I want to switch to all orange/fall all the time soon.

The one thing that really strikes me is how the oranges are playing together. The fall color is very burnt orange and fiery--the middle skein, all orange all the time, has an interesting pink tone to it. It's not disruptive, but it's definitely a slightly different tone. That might have something to do with the fact I bought them at two different stores several months apart and the dyer may never have intended for them to be used together. Perhaps. :)

I do need to get my yarn out of the disastrously huge box I dumped it in over the next week. I had someone ask about buying a skein and, as it is one I'm not deeply attached to, I'm perfectly willing. However, I am not entirely sure where that skein is. No worries, the seller knows I'm in the process of looking and that it's going to take me a bit.

Tomorrow, though, I have an event to attend that should be knitting friendly, so some progress on the black sock should be made. If nothing else, the Philosopher and I will have a fairly long trip home on the train.


*As near as I can tell, my phone was lifted off of me at a train station on Saturday night. I called Verizon and had everything on my account temporarily deactivated, just in case. I did have insurance, so a replacement was a deductible and an online form away. My one major complaint with the process: they refused to believe that my work address is a valid address for UPS delivery. Trust me, UPS comes to the library almost every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message! (Blogger doesn't give me your email address so if you'd like an answer, please see my About Me page for my email address)

A Redo

 I started this pair of socks on New Years Eve just before 2020. I finished them in May 2020 , amidst a lot of optimism about what I'd a...